River

I obviously returned to my beloved river while I visited Italy. It was one of many things I had on my to-do list. The first day I sat down with A and made a list of priorities. Of things I would love to do while there. One of them was just spending time by the river.

The river that I rode my bike along those crisp, not-yet-too-hot mornings to go to work. Where I went to cool  hot feet during those long summerdays. Endless walks home from work, from aperitivi with friends under starlit nightskies, full moons or clouded heavens. I have seen that river calm with water moving as oil, I have seen it wild, green and foamy, licking greedily at its edges, eating its way up the banks and spilling its water on the biking trail. I have seen it become almost one with the grey heavens on rainy days, fog spilling and snaking its way between the hills on one side of the river. Water in one huge moving sheet, me not able to tell where sky start and river stops; surface a spray of drops moving in all directions, me shaded under a huge umbrella, seated on a bench with my music and my cigarette.

I have wandered idly, gone too fast by bike and gathered fruit and nuts in the autumn along this very river, have made countless picnics, collected flowers and gone there to cool down on scaldingly hot summerdays where everything becomes silent and bone-white in the midday heat. Only thing to do is to immerse yourself in unexpectedly cold water and watch your body become greenish and unreal.

A and I went there one of my last days in Italy, stripped to our bras and lay down in the long lush grass, close enough to hear the sound of water. Closed our eyes, shared the headphones and listened to stuff on my Ipod while studying the inside of our eyelids. Small insects buzzing, birds singing, bottle of water icy against my side and the smell of the grass thick and homey in my nose.
It felt like coming home.

Comments

Annettes space said…
Hvor er det dejligt at have sådan et særligt sted hvor sjælen finder hjem og falder til ro :-))
Jeg har sådan et sted et sted i Norge, som jeg desværre ikke har set flere år.....Det kræver en bil og sådan een har jeg ikke..æv.

Tusind tak for fødselsdgashilsen forleden dag. Det var en dejlig dejlig dag.

Ha' en skøn dag :-))
kyllyan said…
@annette:
Ja, det er nemlig skoent =). Jeg vil ha' multi-steder, flere af slagsen =), helst osse i min umiddelbare naerhed; norge lyder osse for langt vaek. Arbejder paa det =).
En skoen skoen dag osse til dig.
K

Popular posts from this blog

Two years ago

Making a new friend

Tamed