Concert

Tomorrow I am going to my first concert in a long time. I do not enjoy concerts much.

While I love being in the midst of a lot of happy people and find a curious (gross?) pleasure in being there, concerts are not really my thing. I love, love, love music and spend a lot of my day listening to it, I have different music for different moods. I listen to music while I shower, while I worked in the agency, while I do chores around the apartment, while I blog, while I read blogs and very seldomly while I sleep.

So the quality of the audio is sort of important to me and when I go out to hear live music, I always expect it to be true to what I hear at home. Which sort of defeats the purpose with livemusic, which is much about improvising and taking the sound somewhere new; live basically. Something not dead and set in stone.

I enjoy jazzconcerts very much, but only if I haven't got the music polished and produced at home.
I love the live energy of for example Compay Segundo that I saw in Prato last year, but I didn't expect anything and so I came unprepared.
I liked an Italian group a lot, I went to their concerts because of their fantastic energy onstage, but once I bought their album, I was disappointed.
I seems I either like the energy or the live quality of it all when I haven't heard the music at home. And, that once I have heard something produced to perfection at home, I don't like the (often) sloppy sound and improvisations in concert.

For some reason electronic music seems to a be an exception. Maybe the reason is that there's no guitar or drums to f*ck up, electronic music is not very human-sounding.
I was on my way to see Nine Inch Nails in concert last summer, something bad happened and I didn't go as a last-minute decision. Big regret.

I saw Underworld live too some years ago, they launched their new album that night. I drove the 300 km to get to Rome and  ran the 2 km from my parked car to the outdoor venue.
I remember how I ran. How I got out of my car hurriedly, heard the sound of Underworld playing, but not recognizing the track they played. New track from new album and I was late.
I just ran. And it was the perfect expression of the energy their music gives me. Feet pounding on the little path that went through fields to get to the stage, passing people that walked there too, not understanding how they did not hurry, feeling the wind in my hair and on my skin. It was summer and the night was full of stars and the scent of grass.

I got totally high running there.

And I got to the huge scene, elbowed my way through the crowd, up front and yelled and jumped like a little rubber ball for the 2 hours the concert lasted. I was spent afterwards but ecstatic.

I'm diverting here. I didn't mean to write about Underworld in Rome but that night sure was good =).

Autechre, electronic duo that I love since 1994 =)  is in concert tomorrow night and while there might be no jumping nor yelling, I can't wait to go. Their music span from very ambient through pretty dark to almost violent. But I always find it interesting.

And if I have to do the jumping and yelling myself, I will =). Or I may just try and look intelligent. After all, Wiki says they're classified as intelligent dance music =).
Either way, I plan to have a good time.

Comments

penpal said…
Sjovt skisma,du ridser op. Hvorledes musikkens kvaliteter deler dine vande både med henblik på live musik og den "rene" lyd.

Jeg var selv til koncert i går. Dizzy Mizz Lizzy. Ren nostalgi. Voksne nænd iklædt drengedrømme. Jeg elskede det. Og i de to timer havde jeg glemt alt om være puritaner selv om jeg faktisk forventer det anderledes - det skæve - når jeg er til koncert. Og selv om det var i sveddis og ølsprøjt elskede jeg hvert sekund. Det kan varmt anbefales at få blødt sjælen op på den måde. God fornøjelse :)
kyllyan said…
@penpal:
Hej med dig. Det sjove er, at jeg faktisk ikke opdagede hvordan det hang sammen foer jeg fik ord paa =). It serves something then =).

Aaaarh. Ja, sjaelen bliver nemlig bloedt op. Og sveddis og oelsproejt er *godt* i dèn slags situationer. Jeg forventer selv en masse sved i aften og jeg kan ikke vente =). Saa tak.

Popular posts from this blog

Two years ago

Making a new friend

Tamed