Autechre

...the crowd crushed softly against me.
Some people swayed vaguely, heads bent and hair covering their eyes, others followed a rhythm in their heads. The music had ceased to follow a beat, it was one of many in-between sequences where one track morphed into another and there was no beat to follow, just ambient noise.

....bassline roaring, vibrating in my solar plexus making all the tiny hairs on the back of my neck stand on end.
I was swaying too, feet planted firmly on the wet floor, my hair against my nape damp with sweat, head bent and my oversize tshirt slipping off one shoulder. Little pearls of sweat gathering on my upper lip, salt on my tongue. Some guy jumped up and down in front of me, gaze locked blindly at the guys behind the mixer.

.... a pretty girl with a jetblack mohawk softly touched my arm and when I turned to look at her, she smiled at me. We danced together for a while and then I started to make my way through the crowd to reach the bar and have the first beer of the evening. The place was crowded and dark save from the strobe and the images projected on the walls. Disconnected words that seemed to consist of a code of some sort. "Autechre, oversteps iland peoq esse ". Perfect visuals for the disconnected beats.

... I pushed my way through people dancing, silently savouring the scents of them; oranges, tobacco, Roma by Biagiotti, fabric softener, Imperial Leather soap, (people still use that ?) garlic, Fahrenheit by Dior, curry, Stimorol, beer, bodily odeurs of all kinds, leather jackets and sweat. Fresh and not so fresh.
The perfume of outdoor mixed with shampoo in somebodys hair. A hundred different perfumes. Strawberry bubble gum and gin tonics.

... as I got further away from the stage, the crowd thinned and people were dancing less. A couple of guys stood stock still, eyes closed and head bent. They looked like nerds to me. Sweet.
Even from here I could feel the music physically. It wasn't the track-by-track concert I had anticipated, it was pure improvisation, using one melody from this track, with this beat from that track. Pure chaotic untamed Autechre none the less, and very very seducing. Intelligent dance music indeed. It is impossible to not strive to listen, it is not easy at all. You ponder where the beat is, find it, triumph, and then realize you had it syncopated. Or you lose it, their music is very much alive and you get lost. It seems always to be a bit out of reach.

... I got my beer and went back to the dancefloor, finding a less crowded corner and just stood there, letting myself get lost in the music, the images on the walls, the heat, the scents and the dancing. I don't know how long I stood there on my own, but all of a sudden I had enough. I got my jacket from the wardrobe and went home. I paused a minute outside the building, looking at the lights, listening to the music, admiring the water and the stars. Perfectly tired and with all my senses satisfied.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two years ago

Making a new friend

Tamed