Confession

I have a confession to make.
Maybe it ought to be filed in the "quirky-me-never"-post but here goes.
I love to windowshop. "So what, K, who doesn't? What's the big deal?".
Well.
I love to windowshop in supermarkets and I often do it at lunchtime when I have an hour to kill (I never actually lunch at one, I'm always starving earlier). So I wander idly to the nearest supermarket; I work pretty much in the center of the city, so I have enough of a choice as to not get bored.
I love the lights, the silence (at least in the lunchhour), I love the fact that it is almost empty and I love the scents of food, the wonderful displays that are *so* abundant.
And then I wander around in the lit aisles, taking my time and listening to whatever's on my Ipod and dream.

I see the transparently lavender cuttle fish in the fish-market and I dream of cutting it up in paper-thin tagliatelle, drizzle with new olive oil and eat it raw with a big pinch of the sea-weed flavoured salt i bought in Denmark.
As I actually *did* eat it in Castiglione what seems ages ago.
Or I make my way to the shelves that are bulging with chocolate from Kenya, Nicaragua, Namibia ... I love to even roll the names around my mouth, to just say them.
I am sure to find my way to the wine section as well, where mentally I seek out the crispiest white wine to serve with the cuttlefish. Or I fiddle about choosing almonds or any of the numerous nut-sorts to remix with the chocolate. And so on and so on. I might choose bread to go with the fish, I might have a look at the liquors section to see what I could serve with the chocolate. You name it, there's no end to the menus I mentally imagine. And no, it's not only when I am hungry, I do it all the time.

I may sniff my way around the cleaning products, unscrew (?) the tops of fabric softeners, shampoos, bodywashes and perfumes and have a blissfully deep whiff of whatever is in the bottle. And all this leaves me strangely satisfied. And then I'll buy something that I need (when I'm lucky something pops up) or just a packet of chewinggum, and get back in the office.

And now that I am back in the office, it even gives me a little kick to admit to this strange habit. I feel almost naughty =)

Comments

Nix said…
mmm i always suspected you had something weird on your mind... now i know... you go around supermarkets sniffing dangerous fabric softeners...
YOU JUNKIEEEEEEE
kyllyan said…
@nix:
grr =). Who are you to speak anyway, remember that i know quirky stuff about *YOU*
Anonymous said…
I like this post. The fact that all it takes is a little time and (im)patience is so relieving. I sometimes cybershop in this fashion for electronic gadgets. Yes I'm a guy, and yes, I'm aquarius ;)
kyllyan said…
@penpal:
wow - a guy that like to shop ? For gizmos yeah, but still =). It is comforting though, isn't it ? It takes the hassle out of shopping so that if and when you buy something, it seems to be worth so much more (than the money you actually spent), because you had such a good time picking it. No ?

Popular posts from this blog

Two years ago

Making a new friend

Tamed